Ystalyfera

History and Heritage

Rhiwfawr Chapel

Rhiwfawr Chapel
Rhiwfawr Chapel began life as a branch of Cwmllynfell, whose minister John Rees established both Ebenezer Chapel, Cwmtwrch, and Rhiwfawr Chapel during his ministry.

The chapel building was constructed in 1876, but did not become an independent chapel in its own right (as opposed to a branch of Cwmllynfell) until 1891 when 62 members were allowed to set it up as such.

In 1892, Rhiwfawr Chapel shared a joint ministry with Gwrhyd Chapel, "uniting to give the call to the Rev Edward James, Canaan, Swansea". He became the first minister at Rhiwfawr, and left in 1903, for Ebbw Vale.

In 1905, the chapel was enlarged at a cost of £281 and reopened the same year, with the Rev John Rees of Cwmllynfell preaching.

In 1906, the Rev William D Roderick arrived as minister, again in unity with Gwrhyd Chapel, and was there for 40 years. During this period the membership of the chapel saw an increase, with figures for 1906 showing 93 members, and figures for 1931 showing 215 members.

Rhiwfawr Chapel was still open and in use in 2006.



Contact Ystalyfera History
Telephone : 07855 838502

Email Yeargroup:
yeargroup@hotmail.co.uk
Email Wolfian Design:
webdesign@wolfianpress.com
Stepping Out Into Showbusiness

Click the cover to purchase the paperback


Simone dreamed of becoming a showbusiness star during her nights in the air raid shelter in the garden of her home in Southall, during World War Two. After joining the A.T.S. in the war, she became part of the concert party entertaining the troops, eventually joining the Windmill Theatre.

 
 

Complete Cleaning company, Ystradgynlais