Ystalyfera

History and Heritage

Bethesda Chapel, Ynysmeudwy

Bethesda Chapel Ynysmeudwy
Bethesda Chapel was built in 1861-62 on land rented from Griffith Griffiths of the Ynysmeudwy Arms. The first minister was the Rev Phillip Griffiths, of Alltwen.

A larger chapel was constructed in Curtis Row, and opened in 1893. The older chapel was demolished in 1955.



Ministers of Bethesda Chapel

Rev Phllip Griffiths
Rev J T Davies (also minister of Gosen, Trebanos) 1879-1898
Rev Joseph Evans (Came from Bethel, Cwmtwrch) 1901-1905
Rev T Emrys Jones 1907-1912
Rowland Evans 1913-1916
Rev Richard Owen Hughes 1918-1923
John Derlwyn Evans 1925-1943
Mr D Benjamin Jones 1950- bef. 1956
Contact Ystalyfera History
Telephone : 07855 838502

Email Yeargroup:
yeargroup@hotmail.co.uk
Email Wolfian Design:
webdesign@wolfianpress.com
Stepping Out Into Showbusiness

Click the cover to purchase the paperback


Simone dreamed of becoming a showbusiness star during her nights in the air raid shelter in the garden of her home in Southall, during World War Two. After joining the A.T.S. in the war, she became part of the concert party entertaining the troops, eventually joining the Windmill Theatre.

 
 
Complete Cleaning company, Ystradgynlais