Ystalyfera

History and Heritage

History of Ystalyfera Schools

In 2017, Ysgol Gyfun, formerly Ystalyfera County School, is being expanded and new buildings constructed for infant and junior schools to replace the now-dated Wern School. This section of the Ystalyfera History website will look at Ystalyfera County School, and its current extent as Ysgol Gyfun, as well as the old and new Wern schools, and the now-demolished Pantteg School.



Ystalyfera County School

Public subscriptions towards the Ystalyfera School Building Fund were first received in 1891 and when the Glamorgan Scheme received the Royal Assent in May 1896, the school was almost ready to be opened. During July, August and September governors meetings were held in the new school, which was officially opened on 20th October 1896.

Read More -
Ystalyfera County School


Wern School

The old Wern Elementary and Infants' Schools were built near the railway and canal along Deeley Road. James Palmer Budd promoted the building of the school and his wife Emily also took a keen interest, her activities in education, social service and in the church were invaluable. She took a particularly keen interest in the education of girls and personally supervised the sewing classes.

Read More - Wern School


Pantteg School

text

Read More - Pantteg School


Godre'rgraig School

text
Thank You to Mairona for the photograph

Read More -
Godre'rgraig School

 






Cofion Cynnes, newsagent and bookshop, Ystradgynlais