Ystalyfera

History and Heritage

Godrergraig Chapel
- Origins & Construction

TAKEN FROM HISTORY of PONTARDAWE and DISTRICT
by John Henry DAVIES - page167

Godre'rgraig Chapel, a branch from Pantteg, began by erecting a school room about 1864, when weekly prayer meetings and Sunday school were held. This continued until 1905, when prayer meetings were held on Sunday evenings and in April 1905, the first sermon was delivered there by the Rev Ben Davies Pantteg. By the first Sunday of 1906, 58 members formed the cause which was officially incorporated under the guidance of the minister of Pantteg. The school room was renovated and opened in October 1909.

In 1913, Mr Ellis Parry, a student of Carmarthen College, accepted a call and his ordination took place in December. His ministry was happy and prosperous but in 1918 he left to give his service to the Y.M.C.A.