Ystalyfera

History and Heritage

Rev B Llewelyn Evans, Godrergraig Chapel

B Llewelyn Evans was minister of Godrergraig Chapel from 1943. He had moved on to Maenclochog by 1951 when his successor at Godrergraig was inducted.


TAKEN FROM HISTORY of PONTARDAWE and DISTRICT
by John Henry DAVIES - page167

He was succeeded by the Rev B Llewelyn Evans, who took a keen interest in every branch of the church, and did not spare himself.


From the South Wales Voice newspaper, Saturday 3rd January 1948:-

UNVEILING OF MEMORIAL TABLET
On Sunday evening next an unveiling and memorial service will be held in Godre'rgraig Chapel. The tablet, erected by the local comforts committee, to the memory of the men of Godre'rgraig who made the supreme sacrifice in the Great War will be unveiled by Mr. Joseph Thomas J.P. The Revs B Llewelyn Evans, R M Thomas and D E Clement will officiate.


From the South Wales Voice newspaper, Saturday 10th January 1948:-

IMPRESSIVE MEMORIAL SERVICE AT GODRE'RGRAIG
The unveiling service held at Godre'rgraig Congregational Chapel after the usual evening service on Sunday last will long be remembered by those present, and especially by the relatives of the heroes whose names are engraved on the tablet which has been erected by the local comforts committee to the memory of the 10 Godre'rgraig boys who laid down their lives in supreme sacrifice in the last Great War.

The unveiling of the tablet was the culminating event in the history of the Godre'rgraig Comforts Committee, which had been so loyal and assiduous in its efforts on behalf of the soldiers, sailors and airmen from the district who saw service in the war. The committee did everything possible for those who returned. It has now crowned its valuable service by doing its duty to those who failed to do so.

There was one unfortunate feature that marred in a measure the expectations of the committee and the public of Godre'rgraig on the occasion. It was the inability of the president of the Comforts Committee, Mr. Joseph Thomas J.P., through illness to be present. Mr. Thomas was to have performed the act of unveiling. His absence was keenly felt. The duty, therefore, was carried out by Mr. Evan Thomas Lewis, who has been the chairman of the committee since its inception.

The service which was bilingual was, necessarily of a solemn and religious character. The Rev B Llewelyn Evans offered the invocation prayer at the commencement; Revs D E Clement and R M Thomas led the devotions and the memorial sermon was preached by the Rev B Llewelyn Evans. Mr. Evans gave an eloquent and impressive discourse based on Joshua IV, 6. "What mean ye by these stones?" After which the tablet was unveiled by Mr. Lewis, followed by two minutes silence. The singing of "Nao wyled teulu Duw ar ol y saint," and the pronouncement of the Benediction, brought a devout and unforgettable service to a fitting close.

The men whose sacrifice is thus commemorated are:
Sgt Dewi Davies R A F
Pte T Victor Davies R E M E
Pte Ieuan T Evans R W F
Sgt Ronald James 3rd Mons
M S Gordon Jenkins M N
Gnr Thomas Lewis R H A
Stkr Phillip Pritchard R N
Sgt A Lionel Roberts R A F V R
Sgt Ieuan H Williams R A F V R
AB Raymond Wesson R N

The singing at the service was led by Mr Lewis Williams A.T.S.C., and the organist was Mr. J Bryn Thomas A. V. CV. M.


In the 28th July 1951 edition of the South Wales Voice, the induction of Rev T J Roberts as the new minister of Godrergraig Chapel includes the participation of two former ministers, one of whom is B Llewelyn Evans

An address on the Ministry was given by Rev B Llewelyn Evans Maenclochog former pastor of the church. Mr Evans said that to ensure a successful ministry, a pastor must have the sympathy of his church. The success of a pastorate depended largely on the members and the contribution they were prepared to make towards a common cause.