History and Heritage

Wern School, Ystalyfera


The modern Wern School, Alltygrug, Ystalyfera, opened in 1903 and closed 2018 when its rolls merged with those of Ysgol Gyfun (formerly Ystalyfera County/Grammar School) to create Ysgol Bro Dur.

Headteachers of Wern School

James Williams
T Roger Williams
Abraham Jones
D J Daniels BA (retired August 1952)

After the 1944 Education Act, boys and girls under 11 years 6 months formed a co-educational junior school with T Ellis Phillips as headteacher

Elementary Girls school
Alice Williams, Governess
After her Miss Margaret Thomas succeeded her as headmistress
Miss Nelly Cousins acted as headteacher of Infants Co educational school
Followed by Miss Mary Griffiths
Miss Maud Roberts (afterwards Mrs Abraham Jones)
Miss Gwen Maddocks
Miss Ceridwen Thomas
and Miss Gwladys Roberts

acting headteacher for 2 years
Miss R A Davies, retired 1966
deaconess at Wern chapel

Wern School in the Llais

The Llais newspaper had always included a round-up of happenings at local schools.

From the Labour Voice newspaper, Saturday May 26th 1923:-

Under the Glamorgan Education Committee Village Libraries Scheme a library hs been formed at the Wern Council School. There is a large supply of books which are for the free use of all residents of Ystalyfera. The books are intended to meet the needs of readers of all tastes, novels, books of travels, biographies, socialogical and religious works being supplied. A special feature is made of Welsh literature and books for children and young people. Books will be given out and exchanged on Friday afternoons between 3 and 3 o'clock.