Ystalyfera

History and Heritage

T.W. Davies, Vicar of Ystalyfera

Rev. T.W. Davies was vicar of Ystalyfera from 1954 to 1963, overseeing Saint David's Church and Holy Trinity as well as Saint James' mission church in Godrergraig.

The South Wales Voice newspaper of 12th February 1954 recorded information about the vicar designate of Ystalyfera, Rev Thomas William Davies.

YSTALYFERAS NEW VICAR

The vicar designate of Ystalyfera, the Rev Thomas William Davies, is no stranger to the Swansea Valley.
He was born at Glais in 1902, where his father, Mr Griffith Davies was well known. His mother still lives at Cefn Road Glais.
Mr Davies entered the University when he was 30 and took his BA in history and philosophy at Swansea. He then took a two year postgraduate course at Bangor.
He was ordained a deacon in St Asaph Cathedral in 1937 and was ordained a priest at that cathedral in 1938.
He became curate of Bagillt Flintshire from 1937-1943 and was curate of Ystradgynlais from 1943-1946.
Mr Davies is married to a Clydach lady, the daughter of Mr R J Jones of East End Garage Clydach. They have three boys aged 14, 10 and 6.
Before entering university, Mr Davies was for some years on the staff of the Mond Nickel Works Co., Clydach and of Gilbertson's Steelworks Pontardawe.
He has always been interested in sport and was a competent rugby forward and hockey centre- half.
Provisional date for his induction at St David's church Ystalyfera is 9thApril, the day after his 52nd birthday.