History and Heritage

E D Lewis


The first Headmaster of Ystalyfera County School was Arthur Blount Sully who took up the post at the opening of the school in 1896 and left in 1913. He was succeeded by Harry Rees who held the post for thirty years, from 1913 to 1943. Ben T Jones, already a veteran of the school, took over from 1943 to 1945. Then from 1945 E. D. Lewis was Headmaster.

From the book 'The First Fifty Years' by Rees John Davies, M.A. (published 1946) comes this :

Mr Ben T. Jones, M.A., was succeeded at the end of January, 1945, by the present headmaster, Mr E.D. Lewis, M.A., formerly History master at Gowerton County School. Mr Lewis is a very distinguished scholar of the University of Wales, well steeped in the history and culture of his native land.