The sign outside Tabernacl, Cwmgors, dates from when it was first in use. Services are listed as being at 10:30, 2 and 6pm on a Sunday. The minister is a T.M. Roderick, who was minister at Tabernacl from 1913 until his death in 1944.
Attachments to the noticeboard used to have the name of the current minister on, but they have long since rotted away, leaving now only the founding minister, T.M. Roderick's, name upon the chapel.
T.M. Roderick was originally a miner in the Rhondda and became a Minister following the 1904 - 05 revival. Along with other Congregationalist Ministers, he helped establish the ILP in the Swansea and Amman valleys.
Tabernacl Chapel, Cwmgorse, closed its doors for the last time in 2013.
Thank you to Vaughan, grandson of Reverend T.M. Roderick for the photograph of his memorial plaque.
In loving memory of
Rev. T. M. Roderick
of this Church
He died in 1944 aged 62
He lived among us for 31 years
His only area of ministry
A good preacher, a wise counselor and a good friend
Good and faithful servant
Some photographs of Tabernacl, Cwmgors, taken in July 2021, showing its place in its surroundings and the imposing shape of its structure.
Archive information about the ministers of Tabernacl, Cwmgors is held at the West Glamorgan Archive Service, as per this entry online: DD Ind 52/1/hub
T. M. Roderick was the first minister of Tabernacl, and served from its inception in 1913 until his death in 1944
The Llais newspaper had always included a round-up of happenings at local churches and chapels, even when these were not part of any particular story. Sometimes they advertised forthcoming events, and at other times who was preaching, or had preached there recently.
From the Labour Voice newspaper, 22nd July 1916:-
The wedding was solemnised on Tuesday at the Tabernacle Chapel, Cwmgorse, the Rev. T. M Roderick officiating, of Captain G. Stanley Phillips, R-A-M-C. (only son of Mr. George Phillips and MrS. Phillips, Hall-street, Carmarthen) and Miss Grace Jenkins, the youngest daughter of Mr. Samuel Jenkins J.P., and Mrs. Jenkins. Cwmgorse. The bride, who was daintily attired in a French robe, was given away by her father. The duties of best man were performed by Dr Lloyd Davis of Camberwell Infirmary.