Ystalyfera

History and Heritage

Adulum Baptist Chapel, Pontardawe

Adulum Baptist Chapel Pontardawe
First constructed in 1844-1845, Adulum Baptist Chapel was rebuilt in 1889. The first minister was the Rev Philip Morgan, around 1848 when the cause was officially incorporated. The chapel was closed in 2004 and the building sold.

There appears to be dispute over the spelling of the name, with some sources citing Adulum, and others Adulam.

The chapel is located on Swansea Road, on the left after the Dilwyn Arms, before you get to the main roundabout leading either towards Trebanos, or left to the shopping park or Alltwen.



Ministers of Adulum Chapel

Rev Philip Morgan c1848
Rev Charles Williams To 1853
Rev J Pugh 1862-64
Rev D Edwards 1865-1874
Rev D H Jones (also Minister of Nant-y-Ffin) 1874-1880
Rev J T Morgan (and established Mount Elim in Ynysmeudwy) 1880-87
Rev E R Evans 1888-1915
Rev L G Lewis 1917-30
Rev Vernon Rees
Rev J Rowland Jones 1943-1960
Contact Ystalyfera History
Telephone : 07855 838502

Email Yeargroup:
yeargroup@hotmail.co.uk
Email Wolfian Design:
webdesign@wolfianpress.com
Stepping Out Into Showbusiness

Click the cover to purchase the paperback


Simone dreamed of becoming a showbusiness star during her nights in the air raid shelter in the garden of her home in Southall, during World War Two. After joining the A.T.S. in the war, she became part of the concert party entertaining the troops, eventually joining the Windmill Theatre.

 
 
Complete Cleaning company, Ystradgynlais